Monday, January 28, 2008

Pantry Cheffing: Sundried Tomato Pesto


For Christmas this year, I thought I would make pasta again. Then I found out that a neighbor had sent over spaghetti and some green pesto. So I looked around the pantry and cobbled this together instead. And you know what? I think we have a new winner!

If you dont have the time to make your own pesto, you can always get the pre-made ones from the local grocery stores. I like the brand Bravo, P220 for a bottle. Really yummy.

- For Sundried Tomato Pesto

250gm sundried tomatoes
toasted pinenuts
2 cloves garlic (crushed)

2/3 cup shaved parmessan

150 mls olive oil

chopped basil

chopped parsley

salt to taste

pepper to taste


- One box All Purpose Cream
- 5 fillets spicy sardines, deboned and shredded
*
* Alternatively you can use shredded anchovies, tuna or chicken breast


For Sundried Tomato Pesto place all the ingredients except the olive oil into a food processor and blend to a course paste. Gradually add your olive oil and blend to a smoother paste.
With a wire whisk, slowly add the all purpose cream and shredded sardines no longer lumpy. Keep adding cream to desired texture. Personally I like it a bit lumpy.

Spread on thin bread with some shaved pepper jack then toast, or use as a dip for chips. Or thin it out with more all purpose cream and use as a pasta sauce.
(When I do this, I like to shred some old queso de bola as a topping for a little zing)

Serve to friends and family members with a smile. :)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home