Monday, January 28, 2008

Pantry Cheffing: Brown Sugar and Rum Bananas

I grew up with fried banana served with sugar for merienda. Later on, I tweaked the 'recipe' a little to add more flavor. I usually make this when I'm in charge of bringing dessert to parties but without the rum. Then my friend Venus made it with rum once at a party and I've been sold on that version ever since. I've done a bit of tweaking to her recipe and came up with this.

Ingredients:
Unfortunately, I often cook by taste so I dont have actual measurements for the ingredients. Heehee.

Saba bananas
Brown Sugar
Rum (preferably Tanduay)
Cinnamon (sticks or powder)
Lemon Juice

Directions:
Slice bananas lengthwise.
Combine Rum, Lemon Juice, Brown Sugar and Cinnamon in a deep bowl.
Soak bananas in liquid for 15 minutes.

In a heated pan, melt butter and introduce banana slices. Pour rum-sugar liquid into pan as needed to heighten flavor. Once slices have turned a golden brown, remove from pan. Place on paper towels in futile effort to absorb excess oil.

Best served warm with a side of French Vanilla ice cream and eaten in a hammock overlooking a pristine beach while the smell of frangipani blossoms wafts in the air. Or you know, for merienda on a Sunday afternoon, whichever comes first.

Note: you can also grill the banana slices in another effort to make it a healthier version of this rum soaked, sugar packed pottasium filled treat.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home